Sunday, October 29, 2017

Running Series- Fall 2017

Two fast runners
Charlotte and Asher participated in the Healthy Kids Running Series again this fall. They both have fairly competitive spirits, and are thrilled to race.

Asher moved up from the 1/4 mile to the 1/2 mile, and came with the same consistency and energy he had in the spring. He has competed every season without getting a trophy, but he still tries his hardest. This fall, his hard work paid off and he got a 2nd place trophy! I was extremely proud of him. He is strong, and persistent.
Asher racing to the finish
On her mark...
Charlotte competed in the pre-k 75 yard dash. It was a small group of girls, and she was determined. The first 3 weeks, she came in first with room to spare. The 4th week, after a rain, she slipped and fell, but jumped up and ran through the finish in 2nd place. She cried, but I complimented her on getting up and finishing. I talked to her about the importance of trying your best, win or lose. Week 5, she got off to a slow start, but was gaining speed. Short of the finish, when she saw she wasn't in 1st, she stopped running and started to cry! I yelled at her to finish, and she did- in 3rd place. They tally the scores over the 5 weeks, and she tied another girl for 1st place, but the other girl was awarded the "Champion" trophy, and Charlotte got the 2nd place trophy. Charlotte and I had a long talk about sportsmanship and she congratulated the champion on her win. In the end, she was happy with her 2nd place trophy. 

I volunteered to help with the races. My job was to follow the last person to be sure they didn't get lost at the back of the course, and to ensure that they finished. I really enjoyed giving pep-talks to all the kids who were feeling weak and tired. I'm hoping that when we come back in the spring I'll be able to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment