Sunday, May 27, 2018

6th Broad Street Run + Healthy Kids Running Series

Waiting for the subway
The beginning of May brought us to our big races- the Broad Street Run for me (and this year Eric) and the kids' racing series. 

This year, Eric decided to train for, and run, Broad Street. I won't say that he ran with me, because although he started his training unsure of how he would do, his pace quickly picked up, until I was toooo sloooow for him, and he had to run it by himself.

The weather this year was good for running- cloudy and not too hot. My running partner from last year, Lori, was sick all winter and so deferred her registration. My other running partner, Alex, moved to a different part of the city and so we planned to meet up at the start of the race. Unfortunately, they changed some of the entrances around where we had decided to meet, and so I couldn't find her before the start. I got ready to run all by myself, with my old play list. Then, one mile into the race, I was able to get cell service again, and got through to her. She was about one minute behind me, so I jumped out of the race on to the curb and waited for her to catch up. At that point, whatever pace I might have had for the race was blown, so Alex and I decided to take it easy and just enjoy ourselves. We kept a slow, easy pace and talked the whole way. Around Mile 8 my friend Dan was dj'ing on the corner so I ran over and said hello to him. I didn't come close to wishing I hadn't entered the race until Mile 9, so that's not bad at all!
With DJ Jersey Dan
The last mile was hard, which it always is, but as soon as the race was over I felt fine- no aches or soreness. Eric's knee started giving him trouble around Mile 8, he said, so he was limping and in pain.
With Alex- our 4th year in a row together
Finishers
Eric hasn't been running much since, and he is going to do some PT before he really runs again. I am ok with this because I don't know that I want us both running all these races- I kind of like it when his thing is cycling and my thing is running. It gives me a way to spend time by myself, or with my friends. But he certainly isn't forbidden from participating- it is a fun race, and I could see why he might want to do it again and again!

On to the kids- Charlotte and Asher competed again in the Healthy Kids Running Series. Charlotte ran the 4 & 5 year old's 75-yard dash, and Asher ran the 1/2 mile. Charlotte was again determined to get a trophy. In the first race, she let her nerves get the best of her, and ended up coming in fairly far back in the pack. After that, she gained confidence and placed in each race after that, ultimately getting 2nd place overall. Her sportsmanship was much better- although she cried at the end of some of her races, she never stopped trying her best or running her fastest. I told her that in the fall she has to run the 1/4 mile, and the next day she went out running with me and ran .6 miles! She is already taking it seriously.
Proud girl with her trophy
Asher's season wasn't as spectacular- he ran hard every race, but over the course of the season, his times got slower and slower. He says he wants to return again for the fall, and hopefully we can all get out and work on our running, because he is naturally a fast and graceful runner, and I think he can run faster than he did this spring.
Asher
In our final week, Benjamin decided he wanted to come and watch the races. While the officials tally up the points to determine winners, the parents are invited to run a mile, which I did. Benjamin wanted to run some of the mile with me, and he did- he ran about half a mile at a good speed! He felt strong and confident, and said that he thinks he would like to compete in the fall. Again I am thrilled at the change in his personality and confidence, and I told him I would love to have him join us. 

No one had their best running season this spring, but we all worked hard and enjoyed our runs. It always feels good to push yourself a little bit. Missed goals just mean you work harder the next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment