Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween 2018

Again we had many pre-Halloween celebrations before the actual day. Maybe not as many as in previous years- only one Boo at the Zoo; only one fall festival; only one Halloween party- but still plenty of pre-holiday fun.
Our family at Boo at the Zoo
Kids at the zoo
We went to DC and went to Boo at the Zoo at the National Zoo. They give out lots of really good candy, and they have great displays. Before we went, we met my sister and her fiancé for a walk and then dinner, where we also met up with my friend Alissa and her family. Then the two families went into the Zoo for an evening of fun. We spent the night at Alissa's house, and then had homemade waffles for breakfast before heading out to Cox Farms.
Charlotte and me, cuddling to stay warm
The kids at Cox Farms
Our family at Cox Farms
The weather at Cox Farms was surprisingly cold, and we were unsurprisingly underdressed. We didn't end up spending as much time as we had in previous years because it was just too cold to be comfortable. This year's triumph was that Benjamin went on the hay ride and through the corn maze, which he had been too nervous to do the prior year. We left the farm and went out for Thai food for lunch before heading home. I won Wife of the Week, because I let Eric ride in the back of the van and stream the Patriots game on the TV while I drove all the way home, in traffic.

This past weekend, we had our Halloween party at my friend Nancy's. The kids go in costume, and she always provides enough sugar for 5 times the number of people in attendance. We play mummies, and the kids played Halloween bingo.
Charlotte pretending to be afraid of the mummy (Benjamin)
Benjamin wrapping me
 Finally, today was Halloween. I am the room parent in Asher's class this year (I had asked to be in Benjamin's class, but I got placed in Asher's. And Charlotte's class has no room parent at all, and she had no Halloween party!), so I had to go in to school at 9:45 to get his party started. We decorated mini pumpkins and played Halloween bingo, with prizes. The kids loved the prizes (not shocking!). Then we got ready for the parade. I ran across the field in order to make sure I got pictures of all 3 of them, but most of the pictures weren't any good.
Charlotte as Moana 
Benjamin came out of the building dancing 
Charlotte was the 1st student in the whole parade

The boys had a half day, and Charlotte had her enrichment program, so I had a few hours just the boys and me. We couldn't decide what to do, and Benjamin wanted to "chillax," so Asher and I picked up lunch for him, and went to eat outside at the playground. Then I had to get busy with our Halloween prep- carving two pumpkins, cleaning at our house, and making homemade mac and cheese. 

We hosted 3 other families for an early dinner and then went out to trick or treat. Although I had purchased a Chewbacca costume for Asher, he decided that he wanted to wear his green monster costume from last year. It is a very versatile costume, because he stuck a Santa hat on it and suddenly became the Grinch! Charlotte wore 3 costumes this year- her Belle costume in DC, a dance tutu costume for the party, and her Moana costume today.
My sweet boys
 The kids are much more independent- they don't need any help with their "trick-or-treat" or "thank you" at the doors, and they can hustle between houses!
The group of kids in our annual photo
We were out for about an hour and a half, and they got a lot of candy, including some full size candy bars. This led to later tragedy- when our candy bowl at home ran low, Asher kindly refilled it from his own candy bucket, and he accidentally put his full-size Twix in! When a trick-or-treater pulled it out, his face lit up. Poor Asher went to bed exhausted and crying because he had lost his candy bar. I promised that I would replace it for him tomorrow. Just what I want to do: pay money for candy the day after Halloween, when I have more candy than I can handle in my house already!

This time of year always feels like the crest of the hill: after this, it is a mad rush until the year ends. I am leaving in 11 days for Israel, I return at Thanksgiving, and then it is the holiday season. New Years is 2 months away, but it will be here tomorrow. I love this time of year, even if I dread the coming winter. And I didn't win the mega millions last week, so I don't have $1 billion to take a vacation to the Bahamas in February! 

No comments:

Post a Comment