Wednesday, May 16, 2012

belated mother's day 2012

We are really falling down on the job. We didn't take any pictures of what was a beautiful and wonderful day, and I didn't get around to writing about the day until 4 days later.  I guess the boys are keeping us busy!

On Mother's Day, Eric let me "sleep in."  I have been sleeping really terribly lately and waking up on my own every morning between 4:30 and 5:15.  I usually take my book into the guest room and turn on the air conditioning in there and fall back to sleep, but then Asher wakes up between 5:30 and 6.  So even if I have managed to go back to sleep, it is a very brief nap and not a deep, refreshing, sleep.  So on Mother's Day I got to go back to sleep after Asher woke up, and slept til about 7:30.

When I got up, Eric had cleaned up the downstairs, no easy feat with two toddlers behind him undoing all his work!  He also made breakfast, and my parents and aunt and uncle, as well as my friend Alissa and her husband, joined us.  Eric made cinnamon rolls and eggs, my uncle made hash browns, and my mom brought fruit salad (my dad can't cook, or cut up fruit for a salad).  We had a very nice breakfast.

Later in the day, when the boys went down to nap, my mom and I went shopping.  I only bought an iced tea from Starbucks and a $4 bottle of tonic mix for the soda stream for Eric, so I wouldn't say it was a successful day of shopping.  But my mom and I took our time, and sat in the sun working on the NY Times crossword puzzle- which we finished.

That evening, our neighbors invited us over for dinner.  They had just bought a new grill at the going-out-of-business Sears hardware store near us, and they grilled a ton of food, I brought salad, and all our kids just ran in and out of the house and played while the adults talked.  Then we all came home and the boys went to bed, and Eric and I watched the movie "Hysteria" together.

Overall, it was a relaxing, enjoyable day, with a lot of family time and food, my two favorite things.  Now I need to start planning how to make a special Father's Day for Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment