Thursday, May 16, 2013

perspective

overwhelmed with love
We had a good day today.  Nothing special, but just one of those days- a minimum of tantrums, a large amount of listening, no fighting between the boys.  There are days where I can't wait until everyone goes to bed, and I breathe a sigh of relief when I sit down with my medicinal bowl of chocolate ice cream, but today wasn't one of them.

I have had an unfortunate reminder to keep everything in perspective.  A woman I went to college with, who was a best friend of my best friend, Amanda, passed away earlier this week.  She had two young boys; the younger one just a few weeks older than my guys.  When Amanda was here to run the Broad Street Run with me, she told me that her friend was not doing well.  Since then I have been thinking about all the things she'll miss in her boys' lives, and how hard it will be for them to grow up without their mommy.

So on days where I can't wait for my quiet time, I remember that there are people who would give anything for one more day filled with mundane details, one more day where "nothing special" happens, but where you get to hug and kiss your babies, watch them eat and grow, watch them run and play.  One more day to bathe their perfect little bodies, towel them off to smiles and laughs, dress them in clean pajamas, and kiss them goodnight.  One more hug, and one last sniff of their special child scent.  The things I do almost everyday as a parent, the duties which blur together after days of repetition, but which, when you look at them, are precious.

It is a gift to have this life, and easy to get caught up in the frustrations that come with having three children and forget what privilege I have.  It's a reminder to me that I am blessed beyond measure, and nothing should be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment