Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ha! I did it!

At the finish!
I ran the Broad Street Run!  It was 10 miles (although my phone GPS says it was more, but who's to argue), and according to my official results, my pace was 10 minutes and 5 seconds a mile.  I am really proud of myself!
Showing off my number at the start

The run itself was so much fun (except for maybe the distance between mile 8 and mile 9.5).  The street was lined with people cheering on the runners and giving high fives.  There were a few bands playing- the Temple University marching band, and then random bands set up on the side of the road.  All the runners seemed to be in good moods and everyone we bumped into was really friendly.  Amanda and I kept a nice, even pace and I really felt great!  We were able to talk all the way up to mile 7 where I started to get fatigued.  Then, after mile 8 I got pretty tired, but then when we got to mile 9.5 and I knew I was definitely going to finish, I felt invigorated.  I saw the mayor of Philadelphia on the sidelines and that made me smile.

Right before the finish we saw a man get down on one knee and propose to his girlfriend!  She said yes!  How special to see that.

And then we were done!  What a mob scene.  It took me 2.5 hours to get home after finishing the race. But we had such a great time, and we plan to do it again next year... but take public transportation the whole way.

Amanda and I were remarking that at 33, we are in better physical shape than we were at 23.  I am glad that exercise and health are a priority in my life- as I watch my grandparents (and even my parents!) age, I want to take care of myself so I can feel good as long as I possibly can.  I also want to set an example for my children that exercise can be fun, and that it's an important part of life.  I am glad I was able to train, and then run this race, so soon after Charlotte's birth.

I'm glad it's over, but now I'm looking forward to my next race!

No comments:

Post a Comment