Friday, July 26, 2013

3.33 repeating

The boys are 3 years and 4 months old today.  What wonderful little men I have!  Today we went to the playground where we had their birthday party, and I left feeling grateful that I have such respectful young men for sons.  Of course we have our share of whining and temper tantrums, but for the most part, they are easy-going and adaptable.

Here are some things they have said and done recently:

Asher likes to compliment me when I'm dressed up for work.  If I get home and he's still up, he will say something like, "I really like your dress, Mommy."

Benjamin likes to say, "Mahhh-Meeee, Mahhh-Meeee..." to get my attention.  Tonight when I said, "What, Boo?" I got silence.  He didn't really have anything to ask, he just couldn't stop saying "mommy."

The other night Benjamin was upset about Asher wearing his pajamas, and he was overtired and started crying.  He was able to tell me "I angry, Mommy!" and then told me he was angry because he thought of those pajamas as HIS- so even if he didn't want to wear them, that didn't mean Asher could.  He had a very good point- we do tend to make everything both of theirs- so we went out the next day and each boy picked a pair of pj's that is just his. I was so proud of Benjamin for being able to tell me how he was feeling, and for being able to tell me why.  What a long way he's come from having only a few words less than a year ago!

Benjamin has suddenly taken a real interest in Charlotte.  He likes to hold her on his lap or snuggle with her- but he always decides she's too heavy.  One night with Eric, Benjamin held Charlotte and then said, "Her not a baby! Her too heavy!"

I noticed that a lot of Asher's mispronunciations, which I adore, are going away.  He used to say "hub-u-kaka" for helicopter and "zoo-zee-men" for museum, and now he pronounces them correctly.

They know where things are- which road goes to Meema and Papa Nick's, which way to Jane and Ed's, which way to Trader Joe's.  They also know where the Starbucks is, because Papa Nick goes there.

Both boys are undecided on their future careers.  They both want to be garbage men and mail men when they grow up- I suspect because of the super-cool trucks they would be able to drive.  I told them if they're sure they want to be garbage men, then I am going to spend their college savings on renovating our kitchen.  They said that's ok.

Benjamin is doing really well with potty training.  He's in underwear every day and has fewer and fewer accidents.  In the past week or so, he has even gotten consistent with telling us when he needs to poop and making it on to the potty.  He had one poop accident this past week, and that was at camp.  I am so proud of him!  I don't love the panic I feel when we're out and he says, "I need to go pee pee!" and I need to make a mad dash to a public restroom with 3 kids... but that's life.

The boys remain somewhat picky eaters.  Our standbys are peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese, pasta with red sauce, grilled cheese, turkey and cheese sandwich for Benjamin, pizza, pancakes, and scrambled eggs.  Neither boy particularly likes meat.  Asher will eat chicken, and Benjamin will eat turkey meatballs and turkey burgers, but that's about it.  They like some vegetables- carrots, broccoli, and peas, mostly.  Benjamin likes cucumber, and Asher doesn't.  Benjamin also likes almost every fruit he eats (just like Mommy!).  He asks for peaches, pear, watermelon, blueberries, bananas, and strawberries. Benjamin also likes oatmeal, which Asher doesn't.  Asher eats clementines and watermelon, and dried fruit so that he doesn't get stopped up. They don't drink milk everyday, but do love cheese and yogurt.  I am not so upset that they don't like milk, since sometimes it seems to upset Asher's stomach.

Both boys have a sweet tooth, but Asher's is bigger.  He is constantly asking for a treat of some kind or another.  We've tried to bribe him with candy to go on the potty, but no luck.

They like to watch "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" (Asher's favorite) on TV.  Benjamin still likes to watch "Cars," and shows about trucks and airplanes.

We read every night before bed, and there is a lot of repetition.  They like books that rhyme, like "The Seven Silly Eaters," and tonight they let me read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day" because they know I like it.  At the end I asked if they had a good day or a terrible horrible day, and Asher said, "We had a fun day!"  Which we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment