Tuesday, January 21, 2014

snow day again

A lot of snow for a little girl

The boys got out of school at noon today- I canceled or rescheduled all of my clients because between the weather and the fact that I lost my voice, I knew I wasn't going in.

The snow piled up so quickly!  Charlotte and I went to the post office and grocery store around 11, and then got in the car at 11:30 and the roads had gotten markedly worse.  I called Eric and told him to come to the door so we could go get the kids from school a little early.  On our way to school, there were already cars stopped and stuck in the middle of the roads.  We live uphill from the school, so I began to worry about getting home again.

We almost didn't make it!  1 block from our house, a car stopped in the middle of the street.  I tried to go around it but couldn't fit, and then she started slipping backwards towards us- we were mere inches from having an accident.  Eric hopped out of the car to help her, which was very nice of him, and I reversed down the hill and drove around the block.  With Eric's helpful advice ("Put the car in first!") I made it home, and he walked home to meet us.  We ran inside for lunch and hot cocoa.

After naps we suited up to play in the snow.  I managed to buy both boys snow pants, down coats, and nice boots, but forgot warm mittens or gloves!  So everyone got cold pretty quickly.  Charlotte seemed happy to see the snow and touch it.
yummy snow
But it was so deep that she couldn't move around much.
Help! I've fallen, and I can't get up!
The boys played in their play house and had fun until their fingers froze.
Then we came in and I made popcorn, and we sat on the couch and watched Frozen and ate snacks (Charlotte got Pirate's Booty, or as Asher charmingly calls it, Pirate's Booby).  It was a nice moment, sitting together and watching a movie, even if Charlotte doesn't sit for long.  Asher seemed really entranced with the movie.

Eric cooked us dinner while we watched, and then made a fire in the fireplace to end the evening.
staying warm by the fire
In the end, we maximized our snow day activities!  Tomorrow we pull out the bouncy house to get their energy out, since it is supposed to be really cold outside, and the snow is no good for snow balls or snowmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment