Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year 2014

I prefer even numbers, so I am kind of happy to be back in an even-numbered year.

More seriously- 2013 saw fewer changes than 2012, and that's ok.  I think we did a pretty good job of adjusting to life as a family of 5.  It was significantly easier to add a third than it was to go from zero to two!  I have so enjoyed watching my big guys be big brothers to my little girl, and now that she adores them, too... it is wonderful to see.

The hardest part of the year was the loss of my beloved grandparents and Pierrette.  I still miss them all so much.  I think of them often.  Just the other day I had the urge to call my grandma and reminisce about our trip through France when I was 11 and what a pain in the ass I had been.  It was hard to remind myself I couldn't call her.  It was tough going through Thanksgiving without them, as they were always with us on that holiday.  I'm planning to buy a sign for our kitchen that says, "The David and Sonia Landes Memorial Kitchen," since it was made possible by funds from them.  I also wish my grandma could have known Charlotte more- I know she would get a real kick out of Charlotte's antics.

In 2013, we worked on our new house to make it more of a home.  It's still a work in progress, but it definitely feels more like a home than it did six months ago, thanks to our fancy new kitchen!

I got licensed, finally.  And I ran the 10 mile Broad Street Run only 4 months and 2 weeks after Charlotte's birth, which impresses me more now than it did when I actually ran it.

We got to know Charlotte- and everyday I can't believe what a great person she is turning out to be.  She is so funny, and happy.  She does little dances and smiles when her brothers call her "chunky monkey" (we need to put an end to that name before she begins to truly understand English).  She cries out and runs to me when I come home, but happily goes to play when I leave her at school.  She is far more beautiful than I could ever have anticipated!

Benjamin learned how to use the potty, mostly.  He is still bad at remembering to get on the potty when it's a stressful time for him (he pooped in his pants at school today, first day back in 2 weeks).  Benjamin has become very verbal, although he is still difficult to understand at times.

Asher was forced out of diapers in the last days of 2012 (more on that in another post).  Asher has become a very social person, always asking to see friends, have friends over, go to a friend's house, or see Meema and Papa Nick.  Reminds me of myself!  He loves his teacher and school.

I don't have any major plans for 2014.  As is always my hope, I would like to:

  • be better organized, i.e. not lose my things, not run around like a chicken with my head cut off, not forget to buy birthday gifts for all of our friends.
  • better manage our money. we get caught in cycles of "let's buy things!" which then shift to, "oh, sh*t! we don't have enough money!" which then goes back to "buy more!" when we feel deprived from all of our saving.  it's like a yo-yo diet but with a bank account.
  • spend less time on Facebook.  Why do I spend so much time on something that is completely unfulfilling?  Why do I care what dumb article on buzz feed someone I haven't seen in 10 years thinks is funny?  I need the "babies/weddings/engagements" filter since that is really all I care about.
  • be nicer to Eric.  Whether it is actually his fault, I can still be nicer while blaming him.  No, really- we do need to make more time for our relationship.  It's hard when we are both exhausted from working, taking care of the kids, cleaning, cooking, fixing things, etc., but we're both happier when we spend time together as a couple.
I think that is pretty much it- nothing big.

And, of course, I hope that in 2014 we stay as happy and healthy, as fortunate and as blessed as we were in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment