Tuesday, November 25, 2014

the Nutcracker


Before the show
On Saturday, my mom and I took the kids to see the Nutcracker ballet at a nearby performing arts center.  As a little girl, my mom would take me to the Nutcracker every year.  I loved the music, the dancing, the story.  One year I got a nutcracker as a Hanukkah gift.  I've never forgotten those times with my mom, and couldn't wait to make those memories with my own children.

We all got dressed up.  Charlotte wore a beautiful dress that my supervisor had given to me as a gift before she was born.  The dress had a full skirt, and Charlotte couldn't stop twirling. Adorable!  The boys wore real pants (which is to say, not sweatpants) and looked so handsome.
A girl, her gown, and her fruit snacks
Mommy and her Bear
I found myself teary-eyed at many points.  How can it be that I am getting to experience my favorite childhood ballet with three beautiful children of my own?  To think that there was a time when I didn't know if I'd ever have children.

Asher stayed engaged throughout the ballet; Benjamin was able to sit through most of it; and Charlotte made it to intermission.  Not bad- the show we went to was very low-key, with mostly young children, so expectations for behavior were low.  Towards the end of the show, the kids stood at the front of the balcony (no one was sitting there) and danced along with the music.  It was one of the best moments of being a parent, to get to experience the magic of the world through my children's eyes, and to share something I love with them.  I hope we started a new tradition with this new generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment