Friday, July 16, 2010

Celebrity Profile: MeeMa Alison

My mom pointed out that there aren't many pictures of her on my blog.  Which isn't fair, considering that she spends some part of every day with the boys and me.  There are so many things to say about my mom that I don't know where to start...

My mom and I have a very special relationship.  I consider her my best friend (yes, I know my husband is supposed to be my best friend, but there are lady things that Eric just isn't that great at talking about!).  We have such a great time together, doing things like cooking, shopping, gossiping, and eating.  We also have a wonderful time traveling together.  Last year, as a graduation gift, my mom took me to Italy.  My sister joined us on the trip, and we had so much fun.  It helps that we tend to view adverse traveling conditions as humorous rather than depressing, and laugh hysterically when things don't go as planned. We are also co-authors of "ParisWalks" together (along with my grandma Sonia; Mom and Sonia wrote it together over 30 years ago and included me on the most recent edition), which meant that we had to spend two weeks together in Paris to research and make changes.  It was wonderful, and we didn't fight even once.  We've had many adventures together over the years, including our travel, planning my wedding to Eric, and painting the interior of my house in a week.  We have very similar taste in clothes and interior design (except I like brown and green and she doesn't), so I often ask her opinion on what I wear or how I decorate.

I take most of my parenting cues from my mom, which has allowed me to be pretty relaxed about having twins.  If she says it isn't a big deal, or not worth worrying about, I don't.  After the boys were born, she ensured that I got out every day and walked around to help with my healing and to get back my strength.  And now, she still makes sure I get out of the house, or she comes over and keeps me company so that I don't lose my mind.

She is a very loving grandmother.  Or, I should say, MeeMa.  She chose the name MeeMa for herself because she said she doesn't feel old enough to be a "grandma." I think she had some reservations about being a MeeMa, especially one to two boys, but the minute Asher made his appearance in the delivery room, those reservations disappeared. 

I am so lucky to not only have my parents nearby, but also to have their support and my mom's help everyday.  I seriously think that if I didn't live near my parents before these babies, I would have had to move to be with them.  In these first few months, I couldn't have survived without my parents' help.  My mom buys food for us when I can't get to the store, cooks for us when I don't have the time or energy to it myself, and takes the babies off my hands when I am desperate for a nap.

So, MeeMa Alison, thank you for all you do!  And, keep up the good work, we need you!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you pussycat. I love being your mother and I love being a meema, even if I can't put Benjamin and Asher in the hand-smocked dresses I have saved from your baby days! You and Eric made two delicious babies and I am very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Believe me you are VERY lucky. We don't have any family in town and it is so hard sometimes! Today we are going to test drive a car and hauling the boys with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have led a very privileged life, both materially and relationship wise. You are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete