Monday, February 13, 2012

a little out of control

We have all been sick for the past week.  In general, Asher improved, but I got a horrible cold that I worked through on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I figured it was easier to go to work and sit around than it would be to stay home and take care of two active toddlers, so I worked and blew my nose through all my sessions.  And washed my hands a lot, and didn't touch anyone.  Benjamin began to improve, but then got worse again.  My cold turned into a sinus infection- my face hurts, my teeth hurt and I am generally fatigued (wait, is that part of being sick or just part of being me?).  I can't sleep well because of congestion, and sometimes I hear myself breathe and wake myself up.

Today I took Benjamin (and Asher, although Asher was not sick) to the pediatrician.  The doctor thinks that Benjamin needs antibiotics.  That is a first for us- we have made it 22.5 months with 2 children without a single round of antibiotics.  Not a single ear infection for either one of them!  Not to sound all La Leche League or anything, but I think breast feeding, and extended breast feeding through this winter, made a difference.

But here is what really feels out of control- my children!  All of a sudden I went from feeling like I kind of had a handle on life with almost-two-year-old twins to feeling like they are the bosses and I have no control whatsoever.  I'm not talking about complete nightmare behavior or that we qualify for "America's Super Nanny" just yet, but there has been a definite increase in tantrums over the past couple of weeks.

Here are some things that have been deemed worthy of tantrums:
wearing pants
not getting to use the remote control as a toy
being asked to sit in your chair (rather than mommy or daddy's)
being asked to eat real food (rather than only cookies)
hearing "no more crackers, we're eating dinner soon."
watching mommy go upstairs to use the bathroom by herself
not being allowed to go in the kitchen when the oven is on
wearing a coat when it is 25 degrees outside

Those are just a few of the things that I can remember off the top of my head.  Benjamin gets the sympathy vote- he cries these big, juicy tears that are heartbreaking.  Asher gets the "oh my god, just make it stop!" vote because he can scream and kick his legs in a way that irritates me like nails on a chalkboard.

Eric and I are working at discipline.  At this point we are just trying to be consistent, like only feeding them in their boosters or at their little table, and making sure that everyone has pants on- at least to start the day.  We are also ignoring tantrums, which has made them shorter.  And the boys have made progress on eating in their chairs, which makes Eric and me feel like our attempts to discipline are working.

We still have trouble with Asher's sleeping.  He wakes up a lot at night, and he was then able to open his door and come into our room.  Eric got childproof doorknob covers, which took Asher all of 5 minutes to snap off and then open the door and come into our room.  Now the knob cover has packing tape on it, but I found a strip of that on the floor, so I am guessing it won't be long before he gets that off, then the childproof cover, and then into our room.  The best was a few nights ago when they were both running around our bed at 12:45.  I was so frightened, and I think Benjamin was too!

It must be my bedtime soon, I have to get some rest and get better!

2 comments:

  1. What no one tells you is that the "terrible 2s" start at 18 months and go until they are 4. Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel for you! I have two 19-month-old boys and we have been fighting sickness for the past 2 weeks - mine being an everlasting cold that also turned into a sinus infection - yuk!!

    Hope you guys start feeling better soon!

    We have also had a lot more "testing-the-limits" going on lately too. Consistancy has helped but you'd swear changing their diapers were the end of the world - oh the struggles we go through for such a simple task. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete