Tuesday, June 25, 2013

first day of camp

Here is what happen when I ask the boys to stand next to each other and smile for a picture:
I'm not sure why I kept taking photos when it was clear a cute photo op wasn't on its way.

It may look, from those photos, like Benjamin was in a good mood, but he didn't want to go to camp.  He kept saying he wanted to stay home with me, and I kept telling him that camp would be more fun.  Eric dropped them off, and Benjamin had to be carried in kicking and screaming.

I'm not sure what else went on, but the boys weren't given their lunch, and the counselors had them down for a full day and not a half-day, so they weren't there when Eric came to pick them up.  I had to call the counselor tonight and she told me that the boys had a great time, so I know she is a liar, and I don't trust her.  But I'm sending my kids back there tomorrow.

When I got home from work the boys had just gotten into bed and I went up to kiss them goodnight.  Benjamin told me he had a bad day and was sad all day.  Waaaaah!  I swear I could feel my heart breaking.  I feel terrible, sending him off to camp when he doesn't like it.  I want their life to be like I always imagined Care Bear land was- fluffy clouds, rainbows, and nothing but fun.  It hurts me to think I am making them do things they don't like, and which make them unhappy.  I know that it's part of life and that it "builds character," but my instinct is to protect them from any unhappiness, and so it's difficult for me to force him to go to camp.  I'm hoping that tomorrow is a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment