Tuesday, June 18, 2013

one of those days

Yesterday was one of those very long, very tough days.  It started out fine- we went to the zoo and the boys spent a long time enjoying the new Kids Zoo U (I think that's what it's called) that they opened.  I was a little hot, but nothing terrible.  As time went on, I got more hot and the kids got more tired.  They didn't listen as well, whined a lot more... We left, they fell asleep in the car, but when we got home they perked right up and began making mess and trouble in their room, rather than nap.  Eric and I each have our hot-button issues with the kids, and nap boycott is mine.

I just felt DONE- I had the boys alone Saturday night, all day Sunday (with the exception of 2 child-free hours at the US Open with Eric), and then again for bedtime on Sunday night.  The boys have been out of school for 2 weeks, so I am with them every single day.

Anyway, I decided I couldn't play the no-nap game so I let them come downstairs, where they both wanted to eat.  Eric ended up taking them for a ride in the car and they fell asleep- at 3:30.  We woke them at 5:30 and they were crabby and miserable!  Tantrums over dinner, over everything.  The night ended with a beyond-exhausted Benjamin in hysterics- laughing, not crying- and kicking Eric so that he wouldn't have to wear pajamas.  It was just bizarre.

Typing that- it doesn't seem so awful; a day later my perspective has changed enough for me not to feel as affected by it.  It sounds like normal 3 year-old behavior, but I think I'm spoiled... In general the boys are just wonderful, and I'm aware of it everyday.

But it was days like yesterday that make me happy I work.  Crazy to say it, but in the past 2 weeks, with the boys home everyday, my job has been like a vacation.  I love getting out, no one whines, no one cries, no one pees in their pants.  I don't know how stay-at-home moms do it!  I have enormous respect for the moms who are with their children everyday, entertaining them and educating them.  It is far more work than my paying job.  And having a job allows me to look forward to the time I do have with my children, and put more energy into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment