Friday, June 14, 2013

potty training update

Benjamin is doing fairly well on the potty.  He's stayed dry in underwear for 3 out of 5 days this week, but can't poop on the potty.  Fortunately for me, all times except for one, he's asked for a diaper when he knows he needs to poop, and the one time he pooped in his underwear, I was at work.

He never asks to go pee on the potty, but can hold it well, and is cooperative about getting on the potty to pee when we ask him to.  Overall, I think he's doing great, and I'm thrilled!

Asher put underwear on once, on Wednesday morning.  I bought him a big stuffed dog at Ikea as a treat, and when he is peeing on the potty, he'll get his dog.  He wants that dog.  So on went the underwear, but he refused to sit on the potty.  He peed on the living room carpet.  He was pretty upset about it- he seemed embarrassed- but I didn't make a big deal out of it.  I just told him if he wasn't going to pee in the potty I needed to put him back in a diaper and take the dog away.  So he went back in a diaper, and the dog is up on a high shelf in their play room, where he can see it.  He asks for the doggy everyday, and I remind him he needs to wear underwear and pee in the potty- and as soon as I state my terms, he drops it.  For anyone who knows Asher, that means he doesn't think there's a chance in hell it will happen, because if he thinks he has a chance or can wear me down, he will repeat himself incessantly in the hopes that I give in.  He says he's scared of the potty because "it's deep," but the small potty we have in our living room is quite small, so I'm not sure.  I don't want to push, and I think it's probably easier for me to do one at a time.  He'll have to get the hang of it someday, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment