Sunday, April 6, 2014

Four Year Old Birthday Party

We had the boys' 4th birthday party on Saturday.  It was at a fire house- a big fire house, with a big fire truck, and even a boat in the party room!

I thought the party went well.  My mom described it as "low-key," which I will take as a compliment since we had about 25-30 kids there.  I owe my mom a huge thank you for all her help with the party- I got strep throat on Thursday night and got more sick than I have been in as long as I can remember. I could barely get out of bed on Friday, and of course there were cupcakes to bake and frost, and our favor bags had never arrived.  My mom ran errands and picked up substitute favor bags (the same ones I had ordered but slightly more money) and fruit for the party, then came over and baked cupcakes and helped stamp the bags.  I was so sick that I couldn't even put a fire engine stamp on all 36 favor bags!  So with her help and the help of an antibiotic, we pulled it off.

When we arrived, the truck and firefighters were out on a real call.  I don't think it was a very serious one because they returned without any dirt on them (fortunately for everyone!).  All the kids got a turn to climb on the fire truck and play with some of the tools on there.
The boys, our firefighter host, and their friend Dana on the truck
Charlotte on the truck
After all the kids had as many turns as they wanted on the truck, it was time to try spraying the hose.  Thankfully not the huge hose, but big enough to still be fun.  Benjamin got to go first, and the look on his face made the whole party worth it!
Joy!
Asher also took a turn, but was preoccupied with keeping his hat on:

Benjamin was also thrilled that his favorite teacher, Miss Alex, came to his party.  He will do anything for her, I think he's in love.
Wearing Miss Alex's super cool glasses
 Just as the last kid sprayed the hose, the pizzas I had ordered arrived, so we went in and had lunch.  Asher said, "I don't want to eat."  My mom and I both instantly thought about last year, when he got sick at his birthday party and threw up in a trash can.  Please, not again!  Fortunately, no vomit, but he definitely started dragging.

Here is a picture of them with their cupcakes.
My mom took it.  It is out of focus.  But here are some things I want to point out:

1) You can see, behind us, the party table.  No super cute cupcake holders, no decorations, no themed nothing.  I even forgot napkins.
2) Asher asked for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  Benjamin asked for vanilla cake with vanilla frosting.  Good thing I made some of everything.
3) On top of the chocolate-frosted cupcakes is a lid to a half gallon of ice cream.  I looked at, looked at all our guests and said, "Forget it." Eric put it back and then we forgot it there!  I hope firefighters like ice cream.

I apologize for the quality of these pictures- I think I need a photography class.  I am disappointed in our photos and the fact that I think I'm getting cute pictures but miss everything.

Despite my illness, my lack of pinterest aptitude, and Asher's feeling bad, it was a good party.  The boys got more gifts than any boy would need, really wonderful and thoughtful gifts.  Books, workbooks, crafts, building activities- just what they like.  And, I still can't believe my babies are four!  Such big, handsome guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment