Saturday, December 26, 2009

23w2d: some people get to leave this prison...

Today Eric left the house. He went to see Avatar with my friend Shoshana and her boyfriend at a movie theater pretty far away from our house. Altogether, he'll probably be gone for an entire 5 hours! This is the longest he's been out since I got the bedrest sentence. He certainly deserves it after all he's been doing for me. But I have to admit that I am pretty jealous. There are a lot of movies out right now or coming out that I'd love to see, like Up in the Air, It's Complicated, and the new Sherlock Holmes movie. Or, maybe I would go do some shopping, or window shopping.

I slept really badly last night. I had about 3-4 oz. of Coke sometime around 4 or 5, so maybe it was the caffeine? But I did not feel especially tired, and was reading a book in bed, waiting to get sleepy. Eric, being his usual self, fell asleep within about 30 seconds. He then proceeded to snore regardless of what position he was in. So every 5 minutes or so, I would reach around and poke or prod or push him to try to get him to stop. Finally I woke him up and said, "I can't sleep!" He offered to go sleep in the guest room. I couldn't decide if I wanted him to go so I could just toss and turn by myself, or if I wanted him to stay because I always like having him in bed with me. It is a bit cramped in there, especially since we now have 3-4 cats on the bed, but it feels so cozy... He got out of bed and was standing there, half asleep with his hair all rumpled, and this confused look on his face, in his underwear (no p.j.'s for him!) asking "Do you want me to go to to the other room? Tell me now!" He looked so cute that I couldn't banish him. So he got back in bed and went back to sleep, and no more snoring. Eventually I did fall asleep, but not for a while, and then I woke up around 7:30 and couldn't sleep anymore.

Last night we had a lovely Christmas dinner with my sister. They did the cooking, I did some chopping from a nearby chair. We had a roast leg of lamb, roasted vegetables, risotto with peas, and challah (since it was Shabbat as well as Christmas). For dessert we had chocolate-orange cake. So good! Below is Eric's assembled dinner plate.
The lamb is: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-roasted-lamb-recipe/index.html

Below is the cake:
It is from Bon Appetit, the December 2009 issue. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/12/orange_scented_bittersweet_chocolate_cake_with_candied_blood_orange_compote
We skipped the orange compote and put vanilla ice cream on top.

So, it may not have been our traditional Christmas, but it sure did taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment