Thursday, August 26, 2010

5 months old today!

Here are the pictures I  took for their 5 month picture:
As you can see, these boys are developing little personalities!  They are no longer pose-able lumps like they once were.  I am going to have to try another photo shoot sometime soon, but in the meantime, these pictures do a good job of showing that 1) my boys are as cute as can be, and 2) they are starting to be a lot of fun and very funny!

Life here seems to be changing fast.  Things are so much easier recently, Benjamin and Asher are much more independent and curious in the things around them.  They are happy to play by themselves much more than they used to, which means I have time to do things like make breakfast and eat it before it is cold!  Everyone is noticing the changes.  For example, today they played while my mom, sister, and I made pancakes, and then they took naps.  After naps, we went out for coffee, where they were happy and looking around.  We came home and they ate, and then played, and then after a little snack, they had naps again.  After naps, another snack, then play time, and then another snack and a walk around the block, and then it was bed time.  There was barely any crying (Benjamin just cried when I put him to bed, but he just wanted more nursing and more rocking).  I like when they get two naps a day because they seem so much happier.

Both boys are working on new skills.  Benjamin is trying very hard to sit up.  He can sit in a "tripod" position for a couple of seconds, but then will lift one arm and fall to the side.  Asher is working on crawling.  Today he was having his tummy time, and he got up on his hands and knees, belly off the floor, and started moving his legs forward before falling over.  I could NOT believe it.  If he keeps this up, babyproofing will have to start sooner than I planned!  Of course, when I saw him do it my heart just leapt, I was so proud of him.  Benjamin is just a roller, he has totally mastered rolling from his back to his belly and does it over and over.  I remember when they were 1 month old, I would put them down on their tummies and leave the room and they would be in the same position when I came back... well, no more leaving babies on bellies unattended!

I cannot believe it has been 5 months.  They have flown by, and yet so much has changed.  I am still breastfeeding and the boys have not had formula since before they were 2 months old.  My original breastfeeding goal was 6 months, but now I think it will be 1 year.  Benjamin is nursing so much better than he used to, so I am pumping about twice a day only, which makes my life so much easier.  Plus, with breastfeeding, I get to eat ice cream every night and not gain weight, which I enjoy!

Overall, things here are going well.  I have two beautiful, healthy sons who seem happy and curious, and whom I love more than I ever thought I could.  I get such pleasure just looking at all their little parts-- their hands with chubby fingers, their tiny ears, their little noses, and big toothless grins!  They are so perfect, and I am so lucky. 

2 comments: