Saturday, August 14, 2010

We made it! (to Cape Cod)

Thursday we embarked on another car trip.  I was very nervous, given how much time Ben had spent screaming on our trip up to New England in July, but fortunately, the boys seem to be enjoying car trips a lot more.  They both spent about 2 1/2 hours asleep, and then were in decent moods after having something to eat.  I sat in back with them and talked to them and played with their toys with them, and rather than cry, Benjamin smiled!

We didn't hit any traffic, and cruised right along.  In New Haven, Eric said, "do I take 91?" and for some reason I said, "yes."  Ummm... no.  So we were up 91, almost to Hartford, and Eric asked, "what's my next turn?"  I said, "are we on 91???  I meant 95! Take 95! Turn around!"  But there was no turning around, that would be ridiculous.  So we took the scenic route to Providence, which had zero traffic and almost no other vehicles.

Then we were in Providence and both boys wanted OUT of the car, and Eric's boss had been calling him with a work crisis, so we parked on Thayer Street in Providence and wrangled the stroller out of the car and went for a stroll.  The second the boys were out of the car they stopped crying, and were great the whole time.  We went to Starbucks so Eric could use the internet, and I nursed.  In the 20 minutes we were there, Eric did more work than I did in that place in my entire 4 years as a student!
Then we walked a little, to the Brown Bookstore (onesies are almost $20!), Eric got a Del's frozen lemonade, and then we got a falafel to go from East Side Pockets.  I can't believe I've been getting food from them for 12 years now, but it is so worth it, totally delicious.  Eric wanted one, I decided we would share it, but I really didn't want to share... I told Eric if we hadn't been on the highway with infants, we would have turned around, gone back, and gotten another!

Back on the road, both boys went to sleep, and Benjamin had a very long nap.  They did not share our excitement at crossing the Sagamore Bridge and getting on to the Cape.

Now that we are here, things are wonderful.  Benjamin is happy a lot of the time.  Here is a picture of him loving his exersaucer that our friend Molly gave us:
We went to the pond for the boys' first dip.  Here is Ben showing off his beach body:
But then we got to the pond, and Asher had fallen asleep.
So only Benjamin went in.  He actually liked it!  In the past, anytime he gets his feet wet, he screams.  But this time, he was calm and quiet, and let me swish his legs around.  We also had a little canoe that my mom had gotten them, and he went in the canoe and sat for a little, just looking around.  Then he got cold, so we took him out, dried him off, and put him in warm clothes, and he had a little snack.  He fell asleep on the way home.  It was a successful day at the pond, and today we hope to try the beach, just as soon as nap time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment