Sunday, September 26, 2010

Happy Half-Birthday, Benjamin and Asher!

Today marked half a year of having my angels in my life.  On one hand, it has flown by and it seems like just yesterday that I was in the hospital, holding my boys for the first time.  On the other hand, I don't remember what it was like to sleep through the night, or not lactate, or not get spit up on, and all of these things (and many wonderful things!) have become such a part of my life that I think I have been doing them forever.

Today we celebrated with half-birthday cakes:
To clarify, one cake says ".5" and the other says "1/2."  And yes, this was just an excuse for me to make, and eat, cake.  But my mom encouraged their tasting the cake crumbs:
Asher was not enthusiastic, and Benjamin was.  Benjamin appears to enjoy all food-- he has not yet disliked anything we've given him.  Tonight they got carrots for the first time, and Ben gobbled them up! (Just like he does with oatmeal, peas, squash, and prunes.)  I was waiting to see what they like before I cook them a big batch of it, but it appears that no matter what I make, Ben will eat it.  Of course I will keep trying everything with Asher, but I may have a picky eater on my hands.

We are continuing to work on sleep, and Benjamin has gone from 7 pm to 7 am without eating for two nights in a row.  This does not mean that he slept all night, but hopefully wake-ups will also wane.  Right now naps are a problem, but Eric and I are determined to have them nap because the alternative is just too painful.

Tomorrow is our 6-month appointment at the pediatrician, and I can't wait to find out how big our boys are!  Here's to six months of some of the most difficult times of our lives, but also the most rewarding.  I am lucky to have these two beautiful, healthy, perfect boys as my children.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the sleep deprivation makes it harder to keep track of the passage of time! I really loved all the stages of my kids growing up (ok, maybe not 2-3, but on average) but their infancy was one of my favorite times.

    ReplyDelete