Sunday, March 25, 2012

the fun had to end some time

Shortly after my last post, at 12:30 on Tuesday morning, Asher woke up vomiting.  And he kept it up every 30-45 minutes for the rest of the night.  Then Eric started throwing up.  Benjamin mostly managed to sleep, but he was the only one.

By the time the sun came up, Asher was just retching, miserable.  I gave him a little water- he was crying, begging for water, water, water- and it came back up.  I called the pediatrician and had them page the on-call doctor, who said to wait a while, give him more water, and if it came up again, we should go to the ER.  So, one hour later, we were packing up to go to the ER.  I told Eric, and he said he couldn't come with us because he didn't feel well himself.  So Meema Alison and I went.

Benjamin had several very runny diarrhea diapers in the span of about 30 minutes, so we decided to take him, too.  He really seemed ok, and if he had been our only problem we would have stayed home, but I figured better to make one trip with both of them than need to come back later with on seriously ill child at home.

I had to call and cancel all my clients from the ER.  They seemed understanding, fortunately, and some of them rescheduled for later in the week.  But they were the least of my worries at that point.

Eventually, the physician's assistant at the ER decided that we could give Asher some Zofran to stop his nausea and vomiting, and then see if he could hold down fluids.  First we had to wait to get the Zofran, then wait for it to settle, then drink fluid, then see if that stayed down.  It took forever!  In the meantime, Benjamin was going nuts and we were told he was fine, just keep him hydrated and feed him a bland diet.  My mom took Benjamin home and turned right around to come back for Asher and me.

Asher managed to keep some watered down juice down, and they let us go home with the promise that if he hadn't wet his diaper by 4 pm, we would call the pediatrician.  He fell asleep on the way home, and then I hopped in bed myself.  I was so exhausted.

I went to work on Wednesday and again on Thursday.  I got so lucky and seemed to avoid the bug, but poor Meema was not as fortunate.  She got sick on Wednesday.  I told her, "no good deed goes unpunished!"

For everyone but Asher, the bug was short-lived.  Asher preferred to drag it out.  Although he seemed to improve, and was eating some food by Wednesday, he got sick again on Thursday in the middle of the night, and then again on Friday afternoon.  Friday for dinner we gave him liquids only, even though he was clearly starving and crying for food. It was heartbreaking!

Asher finally seemed better yesterday.  That's why I haven't gotten around to writing about the trauma- Asher's illness dragged on, Benjamin will only nap if I'm not in the house, and nothing has gotten done (other than our 10 loads of laundry).  Eric and I had plans to organize our belongings this weekend- nope.  It has been a tiring and frustrating week, and I am eager to start a new one.

Tomorrow the boys turn TWO!  I can't believe it.  I wish their birthday wasn't on a Monday, but I hope to still make it a special and fun day for them.  And then they can celebrate again when we have their birthday party in a little over two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment