Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 14, 2009 and our 9 month pediatrician appointment

One year ago today I called my OB and asked to seen because I was worried that something wasn't right.  I was 21 weeks and 4 days pregnant.  On ultrasound we saw two perfect babies, and one shortening cervix.  He wrote a prescription for progesterone suppositories (which I have managed to forget how disgusting those were!) and sent me home telling me to take it easy over the next few days (no walking, but I could go to work since I sit the whole time I am there) and to come back that Friday, December 18.  I remember feeling so sad that my life was changing, but still feeling hopeful that when I went on the 18th, my cervix would be stable and I would be ok to keep working and take our trip to Maine for Christmas.

Well, we all know how that turned out... given the name of this blog...

Yesterday we had an early 9 month appointment for the boys with the pediatrician.  Benjamin weighed in at 18 pounds even, and was 27 inches tall.  Asher weighed 18 lbs, 4 oz (this is probably an estimate, given that he was climbing off the scale the whole time) and they said he is 27 1/2 inches tall (this is also probably inaccurate, the boys stand next to each other all the time and Asher is at least 1 inch taller than Ben, if not more, and he was wiggling, turning, and screaming while they tried to measure him).  Yes, Asher was our trouble maker on Monday!  The doctor seemed to think they were perfectly healthy, and commented on their physical prowess... she seems to think they are a little advanced in terms of their development at this point, which is nice to hear, but of course meaningless in the long term.  It just means I don't have to worry about developmental milestones this week.

We will just keep doing the same as we've been doing, since it seems to be working.  Benjamin and Asher still get breast milk exclusively, nursing the 6 days I am home and getting a couple of bottles when I am at work.  They eat 3 solid meals each day.  For breakfast I give them a carb (usually toast, some pancake, some waffle) and some fruit.  Here I want to rave about Munchkin feeder bags-- I put pieces of juicy fruits in them, like melon or pear, and the boys go to town!  They eat the fruit up and I keep giving them more.  I would say they can probably each eat half a pear this way!

Lunch starts with something like toast, and then they get yogurt mixed with a fruit, or a vegetable on the side.  They like all orange vegetables, and I am working in some green ones-- they tolerate peas and now spinach, and it's time to try again with the green beans.  At dinner I also give them some toast because they love to feed themselves, and then they get cereal mixed with a fruit or vegetable.  I have not noticed a drop-off in their nursing even though they are eating these three meals with a good appetite.  It is fun for me to share some of my favorite foods with them, and to watch them enjoy eating.  We're also going to work on taking them out to restaurants more often so that they can get accustomed to eating out-- I want my boys to have good table manners!

Their sleep is going well.  At nights they are going straight from 7 pm to 5 or 5:30 am, and I nurse them, and they go back to sleep until 7 or 7:30.  They take a morning nap at 9, hopefully until 10:30... and then again at 1 pm until hopefully 3.  If their afternoon nap is lousy, I try to get them down again around 4 or 4:30 for a cat nap just so that they don't fall apart and make for a miserable evening.  They are generally agreeable, friendly babies who love to meet new people, love to play peek-a-boo, love to crawl, and are content to explore every corner of our house.  I am one proud mommy!  Every time I see them I am happily surprised by how beautiful they are.  I cannot believe my luck to have these two angels as my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment