Friday, December 3, 2010

Goodbye, Toby

This afternoon at 3 pm, my dad took Toby to the vet to be put to sleep.  Toby was diagnosed with lung cancer early this summer, at the age of 15.  My parents decided they would not treat him, since the odds of it working were slim, and it would just make him sick.  We all agreed that Toby would stay around as long as he was comfortable.  Today, Toby seemed very sick and unable to sit or lie down.  He had lost control of his bowels.  We had to say goodbye.

It's so hard to believe that he's really gone.  He was the first cat we ever had who was friendly and would let us pick him up, cuddle him, and would purr on our laps.  He was so patient and tolerant and was wonderful with children.

He was a Scottish Fold-- the only bred cat we've ever had, and probably ever will.  He had medium-length fur that was so soft, especially right under/behind his tiny folded ears.  His front paws were big and faced out like a ballet dancer's.  He was a pretty quiet cat and would really never cry unless it was time for him to be fed.

The first night we got him, he slept in my room with my sister and me, and he ran in circles for hours!  Eventually he settled on top of my head, kneading and purring away.  I remember being annoyed that I couldn't sleep, but one look at his tiny kitten body melted all my anger.  When we first got him, he used to step into his food bowl with his front two paws and get food all over his face.  It was messy, but adorable.

As a kitten, he was quite rambunctious, but shortly after his "routine castration" (which, as my dad noted, was not very routine for Toby!), he became a more subdued, quiet cat.  He slept a lot, like most cats do, and was almost always happy to have company on the couch or the bed.

We will miss Toby so much.  I hope he's sleeping tight.  He was loved.

5 comments:

  1. sending big hugs your way. It's always hard to lose a kitty, especially one as handsome and sweet as Toby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I am so sorry. This is so tough. What a cutie- I've always loved Scottish folds! Sounds like he had a lot of great years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about Toby - I know how much your whole family loved him. I'm glad that you had him in your lives for so long - it's hard for me to remember you not having him! He was a very special kitty and I'm glad that he got to have you all for a family. Hugs to all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Toby was beautiful! It's incredibly hard to lose a pet, our first dog Tory (my grandma used to call her Toby!) we had to put down a little over 2 years ago. I still miss her to this day! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toby was adorable and I am sure that he will be missed. I know that he will be in kitty heaven. Thinking of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete