Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful Thanksgiving 2012

The boys, with cousin Eli on the left, reading with me after dinner
As we do every year, we have much to be thankful for.  Not just the basics, like the roof over heads, the food on the table (and in the fridge, pantry, freezer...), and the heat in our home.

We are lucky to have such a big and loving family, who take good care of us.  I know that Eric and I will never be homeless or go hungry with the family we have.  We always have someone to lend a hand with our boys, to help move a piece of furniture, or to pick up the milk we forgot at the store.  At points in our marriage, Eric and I had discussed moving other places, but I'm glad we never did- we really need the help we get from our family!  Not just my parents, but also my Aunt Jane and Uncle Ed, who are sweet and loving with our boys.

We are also lucky to have Eric's family, even though they're farther away.  I know how loved our children are, and they are always so generous and affectionate with our children (and us!).  It is also amazing that my boys have 6 living great-grandparents, as well as Pierrette.  I am glad that my grandparents and P have come here to be near us so that my children can know them well in their final years.

I am thankful for this surprise pregnancy, which will bring us our daughter and complete our family.  I am thankful for the opportunity to be pregnant, and for every kick she gives.  I am thankful that so far, Petunia appears to be a healthy, normal baby, and I have had a completely healthy, normal pregnancy.  After all the complications last time around, it is miraculous to have had such an uneventful pregnancy.

Of course I am thankful every minute of every day for our two beautiful boys.  I always wanted to be a mommy, but never imagined that it would be like this.  I am stunned by their sweet faces and loving embraces.  How could I be so lucky as to have TWO healthy, affectionate, curious, loving and lovable children?  Of course they are not perfect, and we all have our moments, but all things considered, I won the lottery with these two.  I feel honored that I am their mommy, and that they choose to love me as much as I love them.

I am thankful that we have the opportunity to move to a new home in the neighborhood we love to raise our children.  It is the best of everything to have the space we need close to the friends and neighbors we are attached to.

I am thankful that I have a job I love in a career I love.  At times, it is difficult to have both a career and a family, but for the most part, I have a job that allows me flexibility and professional growth.  I knew that when I decided to apply to graduate school back in 2003, but I am happy to see it play out the way it has.  I am extremely lucky to have fallen into the job I have right out of school- I have a very supportive supervisor in a laid-back environment, which suits me perfectly.

I am also thankful for Eric's big brain and his good job- he also has a supportive and understanding boss who takes good care of his employees.  I am lucky that Eric is so smart and works in a field where he'll always be in demand.  It is a huge relief to know that he will always be employed.

And, cheesy as it is, I am thankful that I'm American and live in this country.  Bitch though we may about one thing or another, I don't think there is a better place to live.  I don't think of myself as particularly patriotic, but with all the family I have in Israel who spent days living with a certain degree of fear, I am reminded of just how much we take our safety, and so much more, for granted in this country.  I love to travel, and I love the lifestyle in other places, but this will always be home.

I don't say it enough, but I am thankful everyday for my husband.  He is a devoted daddy and husband.  Although he isn't a mind reader like I sometimes wish he were, he is a wonderful dad doing a wonderful job raising our boys.  Our relationship has certainly taken a back seat a lot of the time over the past few years, but I know he's always on my side.

That's enough for tonight!  Time to try to sleep- it's not going so well these days, unfortunately.  Thank goodness for naps!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone- and I hope your turkey was as delicious as ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment