Tuesday, February 16, 2010

30w5d: Jailbreak!

Today I used up one of my two two-hour outings.  I went to Babies R Us and Target with my mom and mother-in-law.  The picture is of me going back into the house with my mother-in-law.  As you can see, I was wearing real clothes, and my choice of shirt was ill-advised; when I came downstairs in it my father-in-law said, "I thought stripes were supposed to make you look smaller..." But I was just excited to fit into the shirt because it is a non-maternity top and so I wore it anyway.  I see now that I look gigantic and I swear to you I'm not that big in real life.  I think.  But as I was leaving Target some man said, "Here comes triplets!" Not a good sign. 

Anyway, it was wonderful to be out.  I saw that the world has not changed immensely since I went on bedrest.  I had a nice time getting pushed around Babies R Us in a wheelchair and registering for some more baby stuff.  I remember that I went to Babies R Us with my mom and mother-in-law back in October and I didn't know what anything was or what it would get used for.  And this time I knew brand names, and what I wanted and needed.  I registered for some preemie onesies since I am pretty sure these boys will spend at least a week or three under 7 pounds.  At Target I got some nice thank-you notes for all the gifts I received on Sunday, and hair conditioner that I thought it would be too complicated to have Eric go out and find for me.  And at Target I walked on my own two feet!  I have to say that I am now much more tired than I usually am at this hour of the night.

I also have to say that my mother-in-law is unbelievable.  By the time I ate breakfast this morning, she had already sorted through all of the baby clothes we got, removed their tags, organized them by size and packed away anything for 3+ months, and got all the preemie, newborn, and 0-3 month clothes washed in Dreft.  Then she had breakfast and promptly got to painting the nursery.  The color was specially mixed at Sherwin-Williams and Eric named it "Turtle Blue," and it is perfect!  After the 2nd coat is up, I will post before and after pictures.  But I love, love, love the color.

Then we had lunch and went out on our expedition.  Exactly two hours I left the house, my cell phone rang and it was Eric, wanting to know where I was and making sure I was on my way home again.  And then we got home and Pat (that is my mother-in-law's name) cleaned out my refrigerator and washed all the shelves and drawers.  I have a tendency to hang on to some things past their prime, and Pat works in food service so she is very regimented about how long things are allowed to stay in the fridge.  Who knows what went into the garbage, but I figure what I don't know won't hurt me.  My fridge is now sparkling clean and so bright.  And she made us a Christmas dinner since we missed it at Christmas time.  We had ham, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, rolls... And I am going to have some blueberry pie for dessert.  So she is a whirling dervish and really puts my bed/couch-warming to shame!

Let's end with a picture of the two cute, sweet bedrest buddies:

No comments:

Post a Comment